Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Voodah in "The Spotted Devils" (Golfing/McCombs;1948)


The golden age African warrior, Voodah stars in a previously untitled tale from Crown Comics #13 (May 1948); originally published by Golfing/McCombs. A Leopard Man is killed by mistake, and his brothers prepare for an attack on the village to avenge him in this story which I’ve named “The Spotted Devils” written by Ken Fitch and drawn by Anthony Cataldo. The Catacombs is grateful to Don "Zu-Gogo" Falkos for providing the scans for this story. Note: The copyright for this issue, its contents and artwork belongs to the original publisher and/or creators and is reproduced here solely for entertainment purposes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Robert R. Barrett said...

Hello again! I believe that Anthony Cataldo received some assistance from Ruben Moreira on this story. I corresponded with Anthony in the mid-1990s and he was living in Puerto Rico. I was put in touch with him by Ruben Moreira's (Rubimor) ex-wife as I was researching Rubimor, due to his work on the Tarzan Sunday page. Tony Cataldo was Rubimor's step-father and he told me that he would sometimes give Rubimor an assist and that Rubimor would sometimes give him assistance on his comic work. As far as the Tarzan Sunday page, Tony said that he never gave Rubimor any assistance on that. Since I follow both men's comic book work, I'm pretty certain that Rubimor gave Tony some assistance on "Voodah."

Chuck Wells said...

Good to know, and thanks!