Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rayboy's Review: Viking #1 (Image Comics); Angel: Blood & Trenches (IDW)



First of all, I am not the guy to review something like this. I think that there may be quite a few comic readers out there who would appreciate what writer Ivan Brandon and artist Nic Klein have presented in this book.

Viking #1 tells the tale of two well, vikings, and their dog eat dog world. Illustrated in a highbrow, painterly-looking gouache style that stretches the medium in ways similar to some of the Vertigo stuff from DC Comics; Viking still manages to impress even me (who would normally stray far away from this type of offering) in a fetchingly presented format that is slightly largely than a normal sized comic, but not quite a tabloid either.

I give the overall issue a "B" due to a strong script, but despite the nice quality of the art, it's just too - -artsy-fartsy - -for my tastes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One man band, and comic industry legend, John Byrne demonstrates yet again, that whether or not Marvel or DC want to invite him over to play with their toys; he is just not one to sit around on his laurels.

After turning out several nice Star Trek-related mini-series and one-shots for publisher IDW, Byrne is superbly back in the saddle on the four issue Angel: Blood & Trenches. Based on the Joss Whedon television series, Angel (which spun off of Buffy the Vampire Slayer), B & T takes the immortal vampire, Angel back to the days of World War I for a jaw-droppingly good page turner.

I may not be a particularly good fit to review this series either, but having no real interest in the character beyond the TV series (which I had enjoyed), I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by John Byrne's version of Angel. Reading all of the first three issues in one sitting was a real treat also. Can't wait until that last issue comes out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

These items were loaned to me by my brother David, and I was glad for the chance to check them out. Thanks, David!

No comments: